Monday, March 5, 2007

Operation Hot Winter Could Last Indefinitely

Hello everyone. Well, things have gotten a lot better and a lot worse since I wrote last. I still don’t have classes in one of the refugee camps, but my other classes with the adults and the other 7th grade girls are going really well. All of my roommates and I are getting along really well and we have a lot of fun together. We finally figured out how to make the oven work, so we’ve been trying to make bread, which hasn’t gone too well, but it’s still fun to try. I made my first Arab meal yesterday called Maqlouba and it was ok for the first time. The Palestinian guys who ate it with us said it was good, but I think they were being nice.
So, as you might have heard on the news, the Israelis invaded Nablus last week, putting everyone in the city center and the old city (not where I live) under a curfew. They called the operation “Hot Winter” (we had a lot of fun with that name, changing it to Temperate Spring and Freezing Summer, etc.) and they were supposedly looking for 5 wanted resistance fighters, but I don’t think they were so successful because when you announce that you’re coming and then drive into the city with 50 jeeps I’m pretty sure the fighters would go hide somewhere else. In my opinion, they made the operation so drawn out and such a big deal because they want not only to find the fighters, but also to remind all the people of Nablus that they still have power in the region and that any day they could come in with some sort of agenda and put everyone under curfew and close schools and work for everyone. Now I really understand why no one here plans anything too strictly; because they aren’t sure if in a week they will be doing normal things, or sitting at home watching tv hoping their bread doesn’t run out before the army leaves. One of the Israeli newspapers tried to estimate how long it would take to find these 5 people and they said, ‘Operation Hot Winter could last indefinitely.’ If that’s not a sign that they’re not at all interested in leaving the West Bank alone, I don’t know what is.
But, one good thing that came from this invasion/curfew thing is that I taught all my roommates how to play pounce and they’re completely addicted now. I lurve it. It’s so funny that no matter who you play with or where you play, pounce always makes you swear. We've all learned swear words in German, French, Dutch and Arabic because of it.
Well, I think that's it for now; sorry I don't have more to say. Teaching English grammar is draining my creative juices. I can't believe I only have a month and a half left here. I'll be sad to leave. The problem with staying more than a short while in places is that I get attached to them and then I love too many places and I feel skitsofrenic (haha, that's not how you spell that but I have no idea, so deal with it!) hokay, i love you all more than moqlouba and I'm sending you lots of fun pounce games in return for lightning quick speed and good hand eye coordination :)

No comments: